A guide to becoming a better writer.
For all the writers there, here are some tips I would like to share for becoming an improved writer. Some of the tips that the writers should put into practice are:
- Read great writers- It is important for a writer to read other people’s work. Everyone begins learning from the masters reading their work and finding your own voice. Reading also helps to increase vocabulary which helps writing. While reading, pay attention to style and mechanics in addition to content.
- Write a lot– A writer should try to make an effort to write every day. The more you write the better you will become at writing. It is important for a writer to write for yourself or to write for someone else. As the saying goes ‘Practice makes a person perfect.’
- Keep writing ideas all the time- Keep a notebook handy and keep jotting down points as and when you can think of ideas. Write down plot twists and visual details and fragments of song lyrics or poems that move you. Having these ideas written down is useful because they can inspire you or actually go directly into your writing.
- Look for a particular time of the day- Make it a routine to write at a given time without any disturbances. Take out distractions while writing do not try multi – tasking.
- Experiment- Try out new things. Steal bits from other people. Experiment with your style, your voice, your mechanics, and your themes. Try out new words. Invent new words.
- Revise- Many writers hate revising because it seems like so much work when they’ve already done the writing. But if you want to be a good writer, you need to learn to revise.
- Get feedback from a good writer or an editor.